Taking off on a trip? A 15 days trek, a month long biking trip or a two days weekend visit to a nearby homestay? Here's a quick list of essential items that you should pack for your trip.
- Tent or tarp (test tent before trip
- Sleeping bag/blanket/sheets
- Air matress/ground pad/foam insulation mat.
- Fanny pack/day pack
- Money [Cash / Credit Card]
If you are driving:
- Check-up vehicle at least 4 days before the trip.
- Check info on service points.
- Carry tools and puncture kit.
- Carry crucial spares like brake fluids, fan belt, coolant.
- Check on spare tire.
- Carry vehicle documents and driving license.
- Depending on location, plan fuel well in advance, carry jerry cans for fuel.
- Do carry at least 2 of everything – in case it rains, you want a change of clothing!
- Don't carry more than 4 of one item – you can wash your clothes and rotate them.
- Hiking boots / sneakers / sandals.
- 2 T-shirts.
- Pants and belt.
- Shorts with many pockets.
- Fleece type jacket.
- Socks ( 1 set per day – up to 4 sets ).
- 2 cloth handkerchiefs
- Bandana ( many uses: head gear, neck sunblock, first aid )
- Sweat/fleece pants
- Long underwear ( for mountains, winter )
- Wool socks ( for night time )
- Toilet paper.
- Small towel.
- Toothbrush & toothpaste.
- Biodegradable soap and shampoo.
- Sunscreen, skin lotion (aloe vera).
- Shaving gear, mirror.
- Paper towels.
- Lip balm.
- Solar shower ( black plastic bag )
- Pocket knief / Swiss knife.
- Flashlight, torch ( pocket flashlight for hikes, head strap light for night activities).
- Matches, lighter, candles.
- Electric or gas lantern.
- Wood/newspaper/fir started/axe.
- Zip lock bags/plastic bags (garbage).
- Writing tools (pad, pencil, eraser, pen).
- Paper Clips, twisties, rubber bands.
- Bungee chords.
- Tent peg hammer.
- Sewing kit (pins, safety pins, needle).
- Radio/cassette player/extra batteries.
- Film canisters ( to store stuff ).
- Maps, guide books.
- Foldable chair(s).
- Beach mat/beach towel.
- Inflatable pillow.
First-Aid kit with specific medications.